MaRDA Working Groups (WGs)
MaRDA Working Groups (WGs) accelerate progress in specific ways with the overarching goal of increasing data-driven innovation. Efforts are intended to promote data sharing and exchange; interoperability; data use and re-use; data discoverability and analysis; data stewardship and preservation; and best practices across the materials research community. WGs should try to engage all relevant stakeholders, will be led by a chair or co-chair, and manage their own membership. Each WG will include a liaison from MaRDAC.
Specific outcomes will vary, but all WGs develop final Recommendations with a focus on tangible progress. WGs strive to eliminate roadblocks faced by the community with effort focused where members can start today and get something done now. Long-term or more far-reaching solutions are more appropriately discussed through other means. The short-term, outcome-oriented focus of MARDA Working Groups means they often complement important, longer-term efforts supported by government sponsors, foundations, or the private sector. WG efforts should add value over and above what is currently being done within the community.
Joining Working Groups
Current MaRDA Working Groups are listed here. Any MaRDA member may join a Working Group by navigating to the group’s page and selecting “Join group” in the box on the right-hand side of the group’s page.
Creating a New Working Group
Working Groups (WGs) proposals are typically one or two pages in length and consist of six parts:
- Title: a short and descriptive title.
- List of Leads: Generally 2-4 Co-chairs who have created the proposal and who will lead the WG including organizing regular meetings and driving the production of deliverables.
- Motivation: a short statement explaining the importance or need for the group.
- Work Plan: a short description and outline of the plan the group will follow including primary focal points and proposed timeline. Please include the proposed work method (regular meetings, data collection, hackathons, etc.) and a clear timeline. Note that WGs are ordinarily scoped to last 12-18 months although some may request 24 months to better align release of outcomes with MaRDA meeting cycles.
- Goals and Expected Impact: a list of specific goals including how they connect to gaps and needs identified in the Motivation section.
- Deliverables: a specific listing of proposed deliverables including a proposed timeline and description of how they will disseminated. Please tailor deliverable to be valuable to the community beyond the WG membership. We encourage groups to specifically develop plans to motivate or ensure adoption of outcomes.
- List of Interested Members/Stakeholders (Optional): a list of members who have expressed interest in joining the working group. Please note if they have been part of the planning and writing of the WG proposal.
The mission of the MDI Provider Integration and Interoperability WG is to promote technical awareness about U.S. and International projects specifically among MDI developers.Learn More
The last decade saw an explosion of cyber-infrastructure for materials data and modeling in academia, national labs, and the private sector.Learn More
Materials researchers are often encouraged or required to make data available and FAIR.Learn More
Repositories of materials data are fundamental to MGI efforts.Learn More
Data dictionaries are central to making metadata transferable and context relationships explicit.Learn more
This group will describe the current state of materials data efforts around the world, discuss what FAIR data principles mean in the context of materials science and engineering, summarize inputs garnered from conversations with key community stakeholders, and propose a roadmap with concrete actions, both individual and collective, towards FAIR materials data.Learn more
The Annual Meeting is a chance to learn about MaRDA, dig deeper into infrastructure challenges and create Working Groups to solve data problems identified ...
MaRDA, the Materials Research Data Alliance, is an exciting community-driven effort that’s open to anyone interested in building connections to link the varied stakeholders ...
Focus/Concept. How to get started. How to propose a WG
Short piece explaining MaRDA’s role for the MGI